gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] NovAtel Binary Format Support

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] NovAtel Binary Format Support
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 08:44:16 -0800

Yo Joshua!

On Wed, 7 Feb 2018 09:34:22 -0500
"Joshua Quesenberry" <address@hidden> wrote:

> When I plug in a receiver streaming NovAtel Binary data it doesn't
> appear to be recognized by GPSD. So my questions are:

Could be many reasons for that.  Have you veridied the GPS is talking
with something simple like minicom?

> 1) Does anyone have code to parse NovAtel Binary in GPSD?

Look in gpsd/driver_superstar2.c for someNovaTel support.  I see
support for Superstar 2.

> 2) If not, what's required to do so?
> This is the firmware manual for NovAtel OEM6 Family Receivers:
> https://www.novatel.com/assets/Documents/Manuals/om-20000129.pdf

The Superstar 2 does not look at all like what you have.

Adding support would be a bit of effort.  The perser would be
pretty easy, look in gpsd/driver_superstar2.c, but the trick
is in packet.c.  Getting the packet engine to detect your model
packets, without breaking other drivers, can often be a bit of a
hassle.

> BESTPOSB (page 393) and BESTVELB (page 405) are two that we use
> frequently where I work, where the B at the end indicates the binary
> version. I assume other binary messages would be needed to get all
> the data that GPSD stores, but I'm not sure which messages those are
> at this time.

If that is all you need, that is a good start.  Do just those
until the packet reconizer is stable.  Then adding decodes of
SATS, DOPs, etc. is pretty easy.

> While NMEA is an option, it's too much data at the rates requested,
> minimal of 10 Hz.

Ouch, yeah, for 10 Hz you'd like the binary.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588