gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd:ERROR: device open failed: Permission denied - ret

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gpsd:ERROR: device open failed: Permission denied - retrying read-only
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2018 15:35:15 -0800

Yo Charles!

On Thu, 8 Feb 2018 00:15:48 +0100
"Charles Muggen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> The stop and disable gpsd.socket comes directly from Adafruit's
> instructions.
> https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-ultimate-gps-hat-for-raspberry-pi/use-gpsd
>
> copied here for your convenience:

Yes, I know.  Stupid.  It causes many problems, just check the archives
here.  Rip it out and you'll be happy.

> I also have an Uputronics GPS HAT.
> https://store.uputronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=81
> Is that a better platform to work with?
> Should I just drop the Adafruit GPS HAT in the junk drawer?

I have lots of GPS.  The Adafruit is very nice, the Uputronics is a
bit better.  Both do a good job, way better than the RasPi can handle.

You got spend a lot of money to do better than either, and the
difference will be small.

When you are buying your next GPS, you can get some nice u-blox NEO-M8N
boards from China for $13 now.  Same chip as the Uputronics, just a bit
more hassle to wire it in.

You problem is how Adafruit tells you to run gpsd.  Rip out that systemd
junk and it works great.  Do not run it the way they suggest.

Just run this, as root, when you boot:
        gpsd -n /dev/ttyAMA0

It will work fine.

Using systemd and/or the -F option, obnly make sense when you want to
autodetect that you just plugged in a USB GPS.  Otherwise it just
causes problems.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588