gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] problem with Stratum-1-Microserver HOWTO

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] problem with Stratum-1-Microserver HOWTO
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2018 17:31:39 -0800

Yo Charles!

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 02:15:27 +0100
"Charles Muggen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I rebooted and tried the start up sequence.
> It's busted again. I think.

Yes, you are prolly still using systemd, and that causes this symtpom.
Be sure you ripped all gpsd parts out of systemd config.

> Also, it's displaying two PPS offset bars on gpsmon...
> The PPS bars are doubled up.
> Is that a problem?

Sorry, I never use gpsmon.  I use cgps and xgps.

> I went back to ntpq -p and ntpshmmon.
> It seems to be synch'ed up.

Good, if you seem SHM(1) doing PPS you just have your boot problem.

> It takes a minute...

Yeah.  GPS used to take 12 or more minutes to start, be glaad you live
in a modern world.

> Sorry, no cut and paste here.
> I have a really dumb terminal.

We live in a modern world, you can fix that.  Redirect to file works too.

# ntpshmmon > tmp.log

wait 10 seconds, ^C, grab the file.

> I'll have to set up a SSH to be able to do some screen captures.

Don't you own a cell phone?  Get with the new millennium.

> I was hesitant to hook it to the local network.

Yes, be careful, be sure you have good passwords, remove the ntpd
pool, etc.

> Give me a minute and I'll be able to grab some screen captures.

Well, if SHM(1) is working, why bother?  You said it was synched up,
that is pretty much done?

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588