gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] problem with Stratum-1-Microserver HOWTO

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] problem with Stratum-1-Microserver HOWTO
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2018 12:11:12 -0800

Yo Charles!

On Fri, 9 Feb 2018 20:58:17 +0100
"Charles Muggen" <address@hidden> wrote:

> I don't understand.
> You keep telling me to kill gpsd, but isn't that what's making this
> thing float?

You can only have one copy of gpsd running.  You have two copies installed.
The only way you know which is running is to kill them all, and start
fresh.  That is what the "killall gpsd, gpsd -n XXX" does.

> here's what I tried.
> ~# systemctl stop ntp

Once again, follow along, don't do that!  Just let NTP run.

> ~# ./gpsd/gpsd /dev/gpsd0
> -su: ./gpsd/gpsd: No such file or directory

Well, did you read that message??

And, once again, follow along, don't do that!  Start in the right directory
and stop fogetting the -n option.

> ~# cd /home/pi
> /home/pi# ./gpsd/gpsd /dev/gpsd0

Once again, follow along, don't do that!  You keep forgetting the -n option.

> /home/pi# ./ntpsec/build/main/ntpd/ntpd -g -c ntp.conf

Once again, follow along, don't do that!  Just let NTP run.

> xSHM(1)          .PPS.          0 l  175   64  374  0.000 496.503 3.350

Once again, follow along, don't do that!  Fix your ntp.conf so SHM(1)
is preferred and you have no pool.  Many things to fix in your ntp.conf,
look on the timer server howto.

> If this isn't the right set of instructions to do a "Smoke-test"
> please provide alternate instructions.

Once again, just follow what we keep telling you.

1. you still have not removed your distro gpsd

2. you keep forgetting the -n option to gpsd.

3. your ntp.conf is still bad

4. until you have a GPS fix, it ain't gonna work anyway.

Also, reread the time service howto until it makes sense.  It works.

And, once again: Softly, Softly, Cathey Monkey

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588