gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] Python GPSD interface and symmetricon 2750

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] Python GPSD interface and symmetricon 2750
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2018 10:58:18 -0700

Yo Ryan!

On Sun, 15 Apr 2018 11:04:07 -0500
Ryan Tennill <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Which Python client?  gpsd does not get the number of sats from the
> > fix status, it gets that from GPGSV.
> I am using the python-gps package on Ubuntu 16.04. It looks like it
> should be the 'official' python client, homepage is catb.org/gpsd.

Uh, sort of.  There are known bugs in that, plus some odd patches.

> > gpsd intentionally has few knobs.  It is meant to "just work".  Or
> > do you mean your client?
> I'm focusing mainly on the client and why it doesn't seem to be
> providing the same data as gpsmon.

I used the term "gpsd' for the entire package.

Are you talking about gpsmon in stand alone mode, or when used with
gpsd daemon running.

> After poking at this some more I've finally realized that it's a
> consequence what data is provided in the TPV and SKY reports. GGA and
> RMC are sufficient to generate a TPV but a TPV report doesn't present
> all the data that is available.

Yup.  By design.

> If the other information is required then I'll need to enable one or
> more of the other sentences which is easy enough.

Yup.

> > A good sign.  Remember that when gpsd starts it also does some
> > reconfiguring.  Unless you use the gpsd -b option to stop that.  But
> > -b is not totally effective.
> I am only using the '-n' option. Other than baud rate, what is
> potentially reconfigured?

Potentially, everything.  Very dependent on what gpsd thinks of your
GPS model.  I'm not sure as I have not played with it.

> One other thing that's been nagging me is that the client doesn't
> seem to be using the DEVICES report and the device list is always
> empty. I will look into this a little as time allows and see if it's
> easily added or start a new thread if I need some more help.

That would be odd.  Not all gpsd clients implement the same features
the same way.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588