gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] count of satellites_used is incorrect

From: David J Taylor
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] count of satellites_used is incorrect
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2018 07:43:58 +0100

All I need is a value every 5 minutes (for MRTG) so the default rate
of one per second appears to be quite adequate.

The default SKY rate is not one second.  Often every 5 or 10 seconds.
Depending on your GPS it may be every minute or longer.  Maybe never.

You may be reading the gpsd data at a moment when it does not have
the SKY data for you.  Put another way, every time you call for data
from gpsd using the API, the SKY data may not be in it.  That is why you
need to check that you actually got valid SKY data from your API call.

 As far as I know, my
software doesn't use JSON at all, just gpsd API calls.

If you are using the gpsd API, then you are using the JSON under the
hood.

RGDS
GARY

"That is why you need to check that you actually got valid SKY data from your API call."

Thanks, Gary. How do I do that? Does the API return a status value saying "valid SKY data"?

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: address@hidden