gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] 1PPS not working with RPi 3 B+ and Stretch

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] 1PPS not working with RPi 3 B+ and Stretch
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 12:53:45 -0700

Yo Chris!

On Thu, 19 Jul 2018 15:36:03 -0400
Chris Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. You're right, I need to narrow in on the
> specific PPS issue.
>
> That said, here's what I have from a previous session... (gpsd
> running as root with -D4 switch)

OK, but I asked several questions of you, still unanswered.

> gpsd:PROG: KPPS:/dev/pps0 assert  1531920117.000122757, sequence:
> 6237, clear   0.000000000, sequence: 0 - using: assert
> gpsd:PROG: KPPS:/dev/pps0 Assert cycle: 1000000, duration:       0 @
> 1531920117.000122757
> gpsd:PROG: PPS:/dev/pps0 Assert cycle: 1000000, duration:       0 @
> 1531920117.000122757

So you have good PPS into gpsd.

> *gpsd:PROG: PPS:/dev/pps0 Assert ignored missing last_fixtime*

But your GPS does not have a valid time yet.  No good time into
gpsd, then no time out of gpsd.

First, answet the other questions I asked.  Then tell me if cgps, or
gpsmon, is showing a valid current timestamp.  You may need to wait up
to 30 minutes after powering up the GPS to get a valid timestamp.

> gpsd:PROG: GNRMC sentence timestamped 132157.00.

See, bad time.  Usually happens after a cold start, for up to 30 minutes.

> I've contemplated disabling the other modes,

Ah, what do you mean by 'mode'?

> but I have yet to successfully "talk" to the UM-220 III NL chip.

Still waiting for alink to that GPS.

> I'll run through your list and send that output back to you as soon
> as I get my microSD card re-imaged with the same build of Raspbian
> Stretch I was using originally.

I doubt that matters at all.  gpsd could care less what OS and OS version
it runs on.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588