gpsd-users

Re: [gpsd-users] gps_read parameters

From: Charles Curley
Subject: Re: [gpsd-users] gps_read parameters
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2018 18:47:41 -0600

On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 15:44:01 -0700
"Gary E. Miller" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yo Charles!
>
> On Sat, 1 Sep 2018 15:58:32 -0600
> Charles Curley <address@hidden> wrote:

> Yup.  The old API had a nasty buffer overrun bug in it.  Plus clients
> writing to a "const char *".  You could see this in the data window
> when running cpgs.
>
> >  But that changes the API. Which breaks my program:
>
> Yup.  Unavoidable major API version change.

So far no problem.

> > Could you please bump the API version number so we mere C
> > programmers can add an appropriate #IFDEF? Thanks
>
> Already bumped in commit 9f6d73c779168a6ec276b02a3d08ece8bfc15d51
>
> -#define GPSD_API_MAJOR_VERSION 6       /* bump on incompatible
> changes */ -#define GPSD_API_MINOR_VERSION 1       /* bump on
> compatible changes */ +#define GPSD_API_MAJOR_VERSION 7       /* bump
> on incompatible changes */ +#define GPSD_API_MINOR_VERSION 0       /*
> bump on compatible changes */

I disagree. The 7.0 used to cover only:

 * 6.1 - Add navdata_t for more (nmea2000) info.
 * 7.0 - add gps_fix_t.ecef (February 2018)
 */

In July you changed the gps_read API, as noted above.

 * 6.1 - Add navdata_t for more (nmea2000) info.
 * 7.0 - add gps_fix_t.ecef (February 2018)
 *       changed prototype of gps_read() to add buffer parameters
 */

That broke 7.0. How is a client program to know at compile time whether
it is working with a pre-July version or a post-July version without a
bump in the API version number?

--
"When we talk of civilization, we are too apt to limit the meaning of
the word to its mere embellishments, such as arts and sciences; but