grammatica-devel

Re: [Grammatica-devel] Maven?

From: Hilco Wijbenga
Subject: Re: [Grammatica-devel] Maven?
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 17:38:22 -0700

(Moving this discussion to grammatica-users; please only reply on
grammatica-users.)

I would prefer not having to analyse the build.xml just to get things
going. Yes, it's possible and it only takes a while but it's still a
waste of my time. With Maven everything is consistent and known. I
know where the code is and I know how to build it. No need to (yet
again) learn yet another way of how to build software. The same
applies to tools, Maven is a known entity so it's easy to work with.
Just think of a tool like Hudson.

Secondly, if we would like to add some tool to the build (code
coverage, static analysis, whatever) then in the Ant build you'd have
to learn this new tool *and* you'd have to figure out how to include
it in the build. With Maven you just include the plugin and you're
done. (I don't mean to imply that Maven is perfect but it sure beats
having to do the same thing time and again.)

I'd be happy to do the work and make sure there's also a build.xml for
Ant. In fact, Maven is able to generate a build.xml! :-) I don't think
you'd really notice if you didn't want to. The main "problem" is that
to really take advantage of Maven we'd have to comply with its
"Standard Directory Layout" (see
http://maven.apache.org/guides/introduction/introduction-to-the-standard-directory-layout.html).
Again, I don't mind doing the work but I'd really need commit access
to move things around. (And I don't really expect you to do that
because right now I'm all talk and no action.) :-)

Does GoogleCode have a CI tool?