grammatica-devel

Re: [Grammatica-devel] Keeping C# and Java in sync

From: Hilco Wijbenga
Subject: Re: [Grammatica-devel] Keeping C# and Java in sync
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 17:49:46 -0700

(Moving this discussion to grammatica-users; please only reply on
grammatica-users.)

Mmmh, well I guess it was too good to be true. :-) Still, it would be
an interesting challenge to get this to work with only one code base.

Long term, we could write a parser (in Grammatica, of course) that
parses the Grammatica Java source and outputs it as C#. It would be an
excellent test case and very clear proof of the power of the tool. For
now, we'll just have to keep the two code bases in sync manually.

Another option might be (I don't know the code well enough to really
make this call) to break up the code into a runtime engine and
everything else. This runtime engine would presumably be really stable
so that working with two code bases would not be a big deal. The other
code would only be Java (i.e. you'd use Java initially to create the
parser [in C#] and then continue on with the C# runtime engine and the
generated parser). This is already very much like it is now, I would
imagine.

Definitely interesting. :-)