grammatica-users

Re: [Grammatica-users] license

From: Per Cederberg
Subject: Re: [Grammatica-users] license
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 10:10:43 +0200

Hi Marko!

Well, the two licenses are virtually the same, at least
in spirit. For some reason, however, the GNU project has
chosen to use GPL + linking exception for all their Java
libraries. As Grammatica originally opted for inclusion
in GNU, their preferred licence was chosen.

http://www.gnu.org/software/java/packages.html

I'm not sure as to why they've chosen not to use LGPL,
but I assume that it is related to the much more tight
relationship between components in Java. The LGPL is
written for C libraries, but in Java a concept such as
"linking" cannot really be distinguished from "using".

So, in a sense, the GPL + exception makes things a bit
clearer. I must admit, though, that it is problematic
that there is no way to register the GPL + exception
license in either GNU Savannah or at freshmeat.net,
making Grammatica appear to be a pure GPL package
until you take a closer look.

Hope that answers your question!

Cheers,

/Per

--
Per Cederberg, Software Consultant
http://www.percederberg.net/software

Marko van Dooren wrote:
Hi, I was just wondering why the license of grammatica is GPL+'linking extension', and not LGPL (http://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html). My first guess is that they are the same, and in that case using LGPL would be less confusing. That is of course, if they are the same.

greetz,

Marko