[Groff] Automatically line breaking in tbl

From: IMBERT Luc
Subject: [Groff] Automatically line breaking in tbl
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:51:23 +0100

Hello and happy new year to everyone !

I'm new to groff, and I have already created a quite long document (about 100
pages) with the mm macro set, and groff 1.15 under Linux.

I must say I'm impressed : it is very easy to format a document that way !!!

However, I've encountered some problems, but the following one is the
most annoying : when I edit a table with a very long item, no line break occurs
so the rows gets very long, sometimes longer than the current page width.

Here is a stupid example :
.TS
center,box,tab(|);
lb lb
l l.
Number|Text
23|This is a very very very very very very very very very very very very very
very very very very very very very very very very very long line
.TE

I have worked around this problem by coding

.TS
center,box,tab(|);
lb lb
l l.
Number|Text
23|T{
.fi
This is a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very
very very very very very very very very very very long line
T}
.TE

This works great, but it is quite painful to type and difficult to read.
I read many docs, including M.E. LESK original paper about tbl, but wasn't able
to find any solution. Indeed, according to LESK, the first sample should have
worked.

Have I missed something or has anyone a better solution ?

Thank you in advance for your answer,

Luc IMBERT