[Groff] Printing from groff in cygwin

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: [Groff] Printing from groff in cygwin
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2001 01:48:56 -0600

I have used troff for many years in an HP-UX environment, but I'm
finding it difficult to figure out how to make it work in the Windows 98
environment inside of cygwin (I produced the HP-UX Reference manual for
HP-UX releases 5.0 through 9.0 from 1985-1992).  I'm using an HP LaserJet
3100 printer/fax/copier/everything-under-the-sun, and I've tried running
the command

groff -Tlj4 source_file > output_file

I had trouble with errors until I figured out that cygwin's troff doesn't
know about R, I, and B fonts (had to use TR, TI, and TB), then it quit
complaining about not finding the right fonts.  I still haven't been able
to figure out how to get the file to make the LJ 3100 print real formatted
text instead of some control file, and I haven't discovered how to download
fonts to the machine or whether I need to.  Does the 3100 interface do that
automatically?

Does anybody out there know what I need to do to get it to talk to my
printer?  Does the LJ 3100 talk LP4 language?  When I open output_file
using Notepad and print from Notepad's File menu, all I get is ASCII
text containing a mix of control strings intermingled with the text of
my source_file that would look like gibberish to the uninitiated.  It
surely would be nice if there were an equivalent to the "lp" utility in
the cygwin environment, but I'm certain that such conveniences have been
carefully prohibited by the illustrious Mr. Gates' minions.

Also, the default font printed by the 3100 is some wierd Courier that makes
commas that look like a sans-serif small uppercase "L" rotated 180 degrees.
The Courier that is being printed by the groff output file via Notepad has
"real" commas.

The index to the LJ 3100 manual contains an entry for "Fonts", but refers
the user to online help, and I can't find anything useful at all in the
online help, which is particularly annoying because for 7 years I designed
online help for the sam(1M) sys admin utilities for the post-9.0 HP-UX
releases based on the assumption that help is supposed to clearly explain
stuff like this.  The LJ 3100 online help I find rather lacking in
usefulness.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.

Clarke Echols