Re: [Groff] Weird behavior of pic with colors

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Weird behavior of pic with colors
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 22:19:28 +0200 (CEST)

> \m[red]
> .PS
> arrow
> .PE
>
> The arrowhead is filled in with black.
>
> Looking at the ouput of pic, the arrowhead is filled with a \D'P ...'
> but the shading is set with a \D'f 1000'.
> Adding a \M[red] does not work, but
>
>     arrow outline "red"
>
> does (shaded "red" not).

Arrowheads are always filled with the outline color.  I thought that
I've mentioned this in the docs but I'm wrong, so I will add this info
soon.

> It seems to me that the arrowhead must be filled with the same color
> as the rest of the arrow. So instead of a \D'f ...' a
> \M[current glyph color] and \M[] must be used around the \D'P ...'.
> But there is no request for the current glyph color available.

Color handling of pic is intended to be independent of color handling
in groff.  It assumes that at the beginning of the picture both glyph
and fill color is set to the default value.  I will add this info
also.

With other words, making a picture red by saying `\m[red]\M[red]'
before .PS is not possible in general.  I don't know whether this is
a desirable feature -- it is not trivial to implement.

    Werner