Re: [Groff] Broken character widths in default font

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Broken character widths in default font
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 09:55:05 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 12 Nov 2002, Egil Kvaleberg wrote:

> A few characters seem to be broken in the default .R font, using
> postscript.Always has been.
>
> Most notably (for Norwegians, at least) is the 'Ø' (œ in html)
> where the definition is far too narrow, causing the following character
> to be partly overwritten. At least one of the ligatures ('fi, from
> memory?) is also broken.

I don't get any problems with ø, or with the fi ligature.  Could this be a
ghostscript problem you're experiencing?  The pdfwriter in the 7.x series
of ghostscript is broken - fi and fl ligatures come out with incorrect
metrics, sometimes overwriting the next character, sometimes leaving a
large gap.  For all I know, this may be the case with ø as well.  (Sorry,
can't test it, as gs 7.x has been eradicated from my machine...).

Robert.