Re: [Groff] UTP - Beta2 is up

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] UTP - Beta2 is up
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:31:58 +0000

Hi Larry,

> All the chapters have now been proofread!

It's looking really good.

Some initial comments based on the original:

    Page 2, listing the trademarks, shouldn't have a page number.

    The following page 3 is blank, and shouldn't exist.

    The next page, also page 3, is the start of the TOC.  We have
    Roman numeral page numbers, the original has no page numbers, but I
    don't think this matters much and probably prefer our version.

    Our Preface has page `9' at its foot and against its TOC entry, but
    the original uses Roman numerals still, so it should be `ix' in
    both.  Otherwise the TOC looks weird since Preface is p. 9, Chapter
    1 underneath it is p. 1.

Also, is it worth defining do-page to be 1 instead of 0 at the end of
utp.mac, especially whilst we're in Beta.  That way we get the original
page numbers in the margin for reference back.

It also tests that the book formats OK when this is enabled.

Cheers,

Ralph.