Re: [Groff] -ms and TOC (as well as beautiful bullet lists)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] -ms and TOC (as well as beautiful bullet lists)
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 23:04:37 +0100 (CET)

> The question for Werner now: ... Why is it, that -ms macros _have_
> to remain crippled (i.e. no TOC mechanism, no beautifully indented
> -mm bullet lists, etc ... just because some old forgotten Unices
> could pride themselves with the same crippled -ms functionality?  Of
> course, in time, I would be able to write my own macros implementing
> this, but why not include examples of this countlessly reimplemented
> functionality into the main distribution (-msextra, for example)?  I
> thought strict backward compatibility was a M$ thing, not a GNU
> thing... and if GNU is not Unix, is it then better than Unix?

Go forth and provide a patch and post it here for comments.  If you
(the community) agree on something, I can easily add it.

    Werner

PS: Backwards compatibility actually *is* a GNU thing.  Have you ever
    tried to read a complicated old MS Word document with a recent MS
    Word version?  I was told that there are often problems...