Re: [Groff] bug in version 1.18

From: Ruslan Ermilov
Subject: Re: [Groff] bug in version 1.18
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 17:43:44 +0200

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 07:11:21AM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:
> > >        New    Used to work: .ds an-extra2 "7th Edition
>                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> >   o Two macros `AT' (AT&T) and `UC' (Univ. of California) have been
> >     added to the man macros for compatibility with older BSD releases.
> >
> > Both `AT' and `UC' influence the formatting of man page footers.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> But, look at what it expanded to above.  That can't be right.

This is because AT is now a macro.  From the groff(7) manpage:

: Strings share their name space with macros.  So strings and macros
: without arguments are roughly equivalent; it is possible to call a
: string like a macro and vice-versa, but this often leads to unpre-
: dictable results.  The following strings are predefined in groff.

Werner,

Would it make sense to rewrite ``.de1 AT'' as ``.if !d AT .de1 AT'',
and similarly for .UC?

Also, .AT and .UC are of historical interest only; would you still
like we document them in the manpage?  If so, should they be briefly
documented, or in full-depth details?

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov          Sysadmin and DBA,
address@hidden          Sunbay Software AG,

http://www.FreeBSD.org  The Power To Serve
http://www.oracle.com   Enabling The Information Age