Re: [Groff] Bug in devdvi - found!

From: Robert D. Goulding
Subject: Re: [Groff] Bug in devdvi - found!
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:43:19 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Robert D. Goulding wrote:

> Further on the weird integral from the dvi device.  It is not a hacked
> integral, but the integral from cmtex (i.e., mathematical symbols for
> typewriter text).
>
> The following file:
>
> .LP
> \(is
>
> processed with groff -ms -Tdvi -Z
>
> gives the intermediate output:
>
> x T dvi
> x res 57816 1 1
> x init
> p1
> x font 13 SC
> f13
> s1000
> V67452
> H57816
> md
> DFd
> Cis
> h4200
> n9636 0
> V616704
> H404712
> n9636 0
> x trailer
> V635976
> x stop
>
> So you see that groff is, unaccountably, mounting the SC font at font
> position 13, instead of EX.  On the other hand, the file

Found the problem (I think).  Line 14 of dvi.tmac is missing an entry for
EX.  It should read something like:

.special TR TI MI S EX SA SB CW

(I'm not sure which of the symbol fonts should be searched first).  When
this is added, all behaves normally, \(is gives the proper integral sign,
and (for eqn) int from 0 to inf has everything in the correct fonts.  I'm
unclear why CW should be declared here as a special font; wouldn't it be
better to do .fspecial CW CW ?

Some of the .fspecial requests immediately following look a little odd to
me.  Why should TI (= Computer Modern Italic) have CWI (= Computer Modern
Typewriter Italic) as a special font?  TBI also has CWI as a special font,
which doesn't make sense to me either.  Should the first of these lines
(i.e., line 15) in fact read:

.fspecial CWI CWI

so that the special glyphs at the beginning of the CWI font can be found?
Then line 16 should be deleted altogether.

Finally, the file

.fam C
.LP
abcde

produces the error (with the dvi device):

try.ms:1: warning: can't find font `CR'

yet dvi.tmac contains the line .ftr CR CW.  Why should this be?

NB: I am using the latest CVS version.

Robert.