Re: [Groff] Text running off the top of the page. Is it a bug?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Text running off the top of the page. Is it a bug?
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 13:50:24 +0100 (CET)

> [...] I'm running into a peculiar issue with text occurring before
> the top of the page.
>
>      .pl 11i
>      .de blah
>      .vs 6
>      .ps 10
>      BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH
>      .sp
>      ..
>      .blah
>      .blah
>      .blah
>      (... up to 71 '.blah's ...)

As pointed out by Ralph already, `.vs 6' must be a typo, right?

> This is happening for everything I write (with or without different
> macro packages). Is this a bug, or is it something I'm doing wrong?

I assume there is a problem with the physical paper length.  Setting
`.pl' is relevant for troff only.  For the PS output device, grops,
you have to specify the physical paper length with one of the
following methods (valid for groff 1.18):

  . Command line option -p of grops.  Example for A4 paper:

      groff -Tps -P-p -Pa4 ...

  . The `paperlength' keyword in
    .../share/groff/<version>/font/devps/DESC.  Common values are
    792000 for letter paper and 841890 for A4 paper.  Only this method
    was available in older groff versions.

  . The `papersize' keyword in
    .../share/groff/<version>/font/devps/DESC.  See groff_font(5) for
    more info.

      Werner