[Groff] Unix Man Pages

From: J Robinson
Subject: [Groff] Unix Man Pages
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 10:05:34 -0800 (PST)

Hello Eveyone,

I'm new to this list, so I hope this isn't an
off-topic or FAQ.

Suppose I had a list of pathnames to a system's man
pages (like /usr/lib/perl5/man/man3/POSIX.3.gz,
/usr/man/man3/mitem_visible.3x, etc.) What would be a
good cross *nix way to convert them to ascii?

I've found that even
% man /usr/man/man3/mitem_visible.3x
doesn't work on freebsd, for example: it wants
% man 3x mitem_visible
but this could be ambiguous about which man page to
output.

Any tips on how to approach this in a *nix-independent
manner (while still retaining man page formatting) are
most welcome. Thanks in advance for any tips or leads.

jrobinson