Re: [Groff] Unix Man Pages

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] Unix Man Pages
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 14:30:12 +0000

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 05:53:09AM -0800, J Robinson wrote:
> * Is there one (ideally free) man source that will
> reliably work with manpages on all the major unices?
> There should be (if it's feasible).

Not that I know of, because all the major Unices have different weird
manual hierarchy arrangements which require special support, and some
don't even use *roff any more. man-db's NEWS file claimed support for
Linux, SunOS/Solaris, Ultrix, OSF/1, HP-UX, AIX, and IRIX in 1995, but
nobody has actively tested these recently to my knowledge. Test reports
are very welcome.

--
Colin Watson                                  address@hidden