Re: [Groff] grops and Unicode, Unicode in general.

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] grops and Unicode, Unicode in general.
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 09:04:00 +0200 (CEST)

> I would really like to have cyrillic working out-of-the-box
> (together with other scripts, but Russian cyrillic worries me most
> :) with (at least) PostScript output.  Currently, I have to build my
> own Debian/OS X packages that include special fonts for devps
> together with encoding file and special tmacs that essentially tie
> groff to cyrillics and us-ascii only.  Moreover, other devices like
> devhtml do not work at all.  It would be great just to write text in
> something like UTF-8 and see an appropriate output with no special
> efforts.

Wartan,

for PS, you still have to add proper groff font description files.
Unfortunately, the URW fonts are still a moving target -- the recent
changes have made the appearance worse, combined with some
incompatible changes.  On the other hand, if the PS fonts are
compliant to the Adobe Glyph List (AGL), afmtodit can automatically
handle them.

The CVS groff version currently supports Cyrillic for html and utf8
also.  utf8 should be just fine, html should be fine too, but you get
a lot of completely harmless warnings caused by the PS run (which
can't be suppressed currently) because the standard PS fonts don't
have Cyrillic glyphs.  With a proper set up (this is, proper Cyrillic
PS fonts) it should be possible to fix that.

Please test the CVS and report problems.  Note that I'll soon release
another pretest; in case bigger changes are necessary they probably
won't be in 1.19.2.

    Werner