Re: [Groff] new groff prerelease

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] new groff prerelease
Date: Sat, 28 May 2005 09:14:42 +0200 (CEST)

> I just ran a build of this prerelease on my Win32/MSYS box.  Two
> problems, both associated with either pdfroff or pdfmark.
>
> 1) Building in /d/local/test/build (/d/ is MSYS notion of what Win32
>    calls drive D:/), the build blows up, apparently passing a -D
>    option to groff, when pdfroff trys to format cover.ms.  I've
>    turned on shell level "set -x" in the generated pdfroff, and
>    tried to debug this, but can see no error in the command line
>    that throws the exception.  Move the source and build trees into
>    /home/keith/test, and the problem goes away, so I suspect an MSYS
>    bug -- might be worthy of a note in PROBLEMS?

Yes, please do so.

BTW, there is another serious problem while compiling pdfmark.pdf:

  ./pdfroff: : cannot execute
  ./pdfroff: --style: not found
  ./pdfroff: : cannot execute
  ./pdfroff: --style: not found
  ./pdfroff: : cannot execute
  ./pdfroff: --style: not found
  ./pdfroff: : cannot execute
  ./pdfroff: --style: not found
  ./pdfroff: : cannot execute
  ./pdfroff: --style: not found
  ./pdfroff: : cannot execute
  ./pdfroff: --style: not found
  ./pdfroff: : cannot execute
  ./pdfroff: --style: not found
  ./pdfroff: : cannot execute
  ./pdfroff: --style: not found
  ./pdfroff: : cannot execute
  ./pdfroff: --style: not found

This happens on various platforms which Nelson has tested.  I'm
waiting for the config.log files to get more information.

> 2) With a successful build, in /home/keith/test, the generated pathname
>    of the pdfmark.ms source file is too long for groff to fit it within
>    the margins of the PDF output page.  [...]

Use `\:' after the directory separators to split it into smaller
pieces

>    I guess we should install this document source in some example
>    directory, and fix up the reference appropriately, for use in the
>    generated PDF document.  Do you have any preference as to where
>    that should be?

$(EXAMPLEFILES).

    Werner