[Groff] Centering pictures and captions with mm

From: Daniel de Kok
Subject: [Groff] Centering pictures and captions with mm
Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:27:22 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I have a fairly newbie-ish question about the mm marcos. I have some pictures that I would like to center. To keep the captions of the image on the same page, I have enclosed the picture and display in a block. The problem that I have is that with setting the display formatting to CB, the caption is included in the block, and both the picture and the caption are not centered. For example:

.DS CB
.PS
right
arrow
box
arrow
.PE
.FG "An example picture"
.DE

Making a display in a display solves this:

.DS
.DS CB
.PS
right
arrow
box
arrow
.PE
.DE
.FG "An example picture"
.DE

But this requires that Ds is set to 0, to prevent that the gap between the caption and the image becomes to huge. Is there a more elegant solution to this problem?

-- Daniel