[Groff] Re: PS fonts versions

From: Michail Vidiassov
Subject: [Groff] Re: PS fonts versions
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2006 03:45:13 +0300 (MSK)

Dear Werner,

On Tue, 7 Mar 2006, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

Actually, I don't consider the whole issue as very urgently because
until now noone has reported problems w.r.t. missing characters in the
standard PS fonts.  On the other hand, there are probably just a
handful Turkish groff users which use the original PS Adobe fonts
together with groff.

Agreed, but since core PS fonts seem to be rather stable
(even unlikely to ever change) the problem seems better
sovled in  "Do it once following standarts and forget forever" way.

After all, you have fixed fonts for devlj4, that is used
much less then devps (if it is not 0/0 case).

What about having default font family describing PS fonts with PS 2
character set and an option to switch to PS 3 fonts?

Mhmm.  I have no opinion here.  It certainly means more work, and I
don't have time to do anything into this direction.

Sorry, there already is psold.tmac:
   Macros  to  disable use of characters not present in older PostScript
    printers (e.g. 'eth' or 'thorn').

May be URW fonts are to be distributed with groff and (optionally)
downloaded by grops.

Uh, no.  I don't want to distribute real fonts with groff

Metrics only?
              Sincerely, Michail