[Groff] Missing characters/glyphs in a font

From: Robert Marks
Subject: [Groff] Missing characters/glyphs in a font
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 23:13:23 +1100 (EST)

I have installed Esstix_Fifteen, the German fraktur font,
successfully, but since it has no apostrophe or hyphen, I guess I
shouldn't be surprised that these are not printed and I get an error
message telling me they're not found.  But neither does the font
include a period or comma, and these _are_ printed.

So which missing glyphs are printed and from which other font?
Groff must be silently making the substitutions.

How do I get apostrophes and hyphens to print without going in and
substituting them from another font by hand in the document?

(And how come they went to all the trouble of making a German font
without including an umlaut or umlauted vowels, or the German ss?)
(Yes, I know I can make hybrid umlauted letters by overstriking, as
we used to do in troff.)

Thanks for the previous help,

Robert Marks

--
Robert MARKS, Australian Graduate School of Management,
              UNSW SYDNEY, NSW 2052, Australia

Disclaimer: http://www.agsm.edu.au/email_disclaimer.html