Re: [Groff] Setting different page lengths for troff and nroff

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Groff] Setting different page lengths for troff and nroff
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 11:05:12 +0100

Werner Lemberg wrote, quoting Greg Lehey:
>> I have a design document that I need to output in two forms: as a
>> properly typeset PostScript file (troff) and in plain text (nroff).
>> I want the latter not to have page breaks.
>
> Have a look how this problem is solved in an-old.tmac.

Hmm.  Is this completely solved within an-old.tmac?  Man itself does:

  (echo ".pl 1100i"; cat manpage-source; echo ".pl \n(nlu+10") |
     nroff -man

to explicitly set an initially very large page length, which is then
adjusted to the actual length used, after formatting for the display
of a single output page, (assuming the manpage is no longer than
would fit on 100 eleven inch pages).  Of course, this wouldn't quite
fit Greg's requirement; he would need to adjust that ".pl \n(nl..."
request, to add sufficient space for the endnotes, (as his footnotes
would become).

Regards,
Keith.