Re: [Groff] Formatting braille

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Formatting braille
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 10:21:26 +0100 (CET)

> The 63 braille cells are represented by a transliteration to ASCII
> characters.  However, some of the assignments are arbitrary so that,
> for example, the ASCII post-punctuation marks stand for braille
> cells that can be used before or in the middle of a word.

I don't understand what you mean.  Do you say that Braille text gets
reordered, this is, the word `Hello!' becomes, say, `!Hello' in
Braille script?  Or do you mean that some of the ASCII punctuation
characters get mapped to special Braille signs used for completely
different purposes?

The former is not supported by Braille (and TeX can't do that either,
BTW), the latter is no problem at all.

> Formatting braille is very similar to formatting print using a
> fixed-width font.

Hmm, what exactly do you mean with `formatting'?  AFAIK, it's
necessary to create nibbles on the paper by a special device so that
it can be read by blind people.  Is it sufficient for you to use a
Braille font, this is, to print black dots on a sheet of paper?

Everything else is trivial, I believe.  Just send a sample document to
the list so that I can process it.

    Werner