Re: [Groff] grohtml - "too many open files"

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] grohtml - "too many open files"
Date: 30 Nov 2006 20:21:07 +0000

Larry Kollar <address@hidden> writes:

> This is partly groff, and partly a utilities issue.
>
> I'm well along the way to getting grohtml output to work with OmniHelp, an
> LGPL'ed "HTML help" viewer [http://www.omsys.com/dcl/omnihelp.htm]. I
> have one last snag to work out, which is related to a large manual containing
> hundreds of commands for a troubleshooting CLI.
>
> Here's the groff part of the pipe:
>   groff -ms -mwww -Thtml -p -P-jTS_Troubleshooting -P-n -P-S3 -P-s11 -
> P-l
>
> Groff was barfing with a "too many open files" error, which I worked around
> by doing "ulimit -n 768" first. I ended up with over 640 HTML files. I'm not
> sure why all every output file has to be open at once, though.

Hi Larry,

ahh yes, it is the OO implementation of creating multiple html files
from one input source file.  Effectively it writes the headers (and
footers) for each file fragment once the main html text for each
fragment has been emitted.  I guess it could be rewritten to use less
simultaneous open files..

regards,
Gaius