Re: [Groff] Strange output ...

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Strange output ...
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 14:11:14 -0500

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007, Ted Harding wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I have observed something strange with quoted arguments to a macro:
>

> .de amac
> \Z'\v'-1m'\\$1\v'1m''
> \Z'\v'1m\\$2\v'-1m''
> ..
> Here is the macro amac in operation:
> .amac "First argument" "Second argument"
>

> whose output is:
>

>                                      First argument
> Here is the macro amac in operation:
>                                      econd argument
>

> (i.e. the "S" is not emitted; there is, however, a small space
> to the left of "econd").

In the second \Z line, you're missing a tick mark.

    \Z'\v'1m'\\$2\v'-1m''
            ^
That takes care of the disappearing S, but still deposits a
small space before the beginning of the word, Second.

The only way I know of to get rid of the space is:

    .de amac
    \Z'\v'-1m'\\$1\v'1m''\Z'\v'1m'\\$2\v'-1m''
    ..

--
Peter Schaffter