Re: [Groff] groff Image Formats

From: Gunnar Ritter
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff Image Formats
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:39:12 +0200

Frank Jahnke <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well, in the most recent example, I used OO.o draw to combine three .jpg
> images into a single file after cropping them with gimp.  These came
> from a colleague's CAD program -- I could start with a different format,
> but JPEGs are pretty standard.

I am not a graphics expert, but from what I have read,
it is not recommendable to start with JPEG images due
to their lossy compression. For best results, images
should not be converted to JPEG until all processing
has been performed on them.

> OO.o failed with the conversion -- parts of the image do not appear in
> the output file -- as did conversion with ImageMagick.

Did you use the "+repage" option of ImageMagick? It
is an odd feature of it to assemble images without
adjusting or removing canvas information by default.
In effect, parts of the result often lie outside the
canvas. Some programs ignore this information, others
do not; in the latter case, the image is incomplete.

In general, it is rather pointless to request that
groff -Tps accepts images in formats other than EPS
since it would have to convert them internally to
a representation effectively identical to EPS in any
case. Thus, hacking groff to convert images e.g.
using the ImageMagick library would lead to exactly
the same issues you have with calling the ImageMagick
command line utilities explicitly.

        Gunnar