Re: [Groff] GNU Bazaar import of Groff

From: Colin Watson
Subject: Re: [Groff] GNU Bazaar import of Groff
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 03:16:10 +0000

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 09:52:13PM -0500, Zvezdan Petkovic wrote:
>> I don't really want to get into a major revision control system fight
>> here; as I said earlier it seems to be clearly Werner's decision. I
>> didn't want to leave undefended assertions lying around though!
>
> I did not use bzr, but based on information I've seen, these are not
> "undefended assertions".  See, for example,

I think I used the wrong word; where I said "undefended", I meant
something like "not responded to". I didn't mean to say that the
assertions were pulled out of nowhere, but rather that I disagree with
their importance.

[I've addressed the performance question in a previous mail. Yes, bzr is
slower; no, I don't think that is necessarily an overriding
consideration, and personally - as a user, not because somebody pays me
to say so - I don't find it to be important for most projects. I won't
say any more on the subject as I really didn't mean to get into another
instance of the great revision control debate, just to provide a useful
link.]

> Canonical actively pushes it on open-source developers with the
> marketing campaigns at conferences, or this import of groff tree :-).
> It certainly is in Canonical's interest to do that.
> I'm not convinced it's in my interest, though.

Although I mentioned that I work for Canonical for the sake of
transparency, I do not work on bzr for them and I am not wearing my
employee hat here. If Canonical fired me tomorrow I would carry on using
bzr. I'm a bit fed up with the insinuations; would it somehow be better
if I quietly used a bzr import for my own work without telling anyone
else? I posted it entirely of my own personal volition because I thought
others might find it useful. If you don't find it useful, ignore it.
Even if the only person who ever uses it is me in order to do a better
job with the Debian groff package, it'll have served its purpose.

Regards,