Re: [Groff] Underlining in groff

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Underlining in groff
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 07:41:23 +0200 (CEST)

Sorry for the late reply.

>> [...] if I do:
>>
>>     .so ul.tmac
>>     .ce 1
>>     .Underline "Executive Summary"
>>
>> It correctly centers the text but the entire line is underlined
>> instead of just the "Executive Summary".

Indeed, this somehow escaped my tests.  You get the same `bad' result
if you use the .rj request, BTW.  Reason is that register \n[.k]
doesn't get the correct values assigned before and after a line
centered or right justified with .ce or .rj, respectively.  In both
cases, \n[.k] is zero.

On the other hand, saying

  .ad c

works.

> .LP
> some text
> .ce 1
> .UL "Executive Summary"
> .LP
> and more text.
> And more text.
> And more text.
> And more text.
> And more text.
> And more text.

I think this is the solution to go, and I'll implement it if I have
time: Use an ms-like underlining macro if either .ce or .rj is active.

    Werner