Fw: [Groff] Underlining in groff

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Fw: [Groff] Underlining in groff
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 10:12:58 +0200 (CEST)

[Samuel, please address further question to our mailing list!]

Peter, what image support has mom?

    Werner
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: [Groff] Underlining in groff Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 13:53:02 -0400
Wow, this is terrific.  Thanks!

On an unrelated note, there's another thing I can't seem to figure out how
to do, and that is to insert a full-page illustration in the middle of a lot
of text.  (I'm using 'mom' and 'mwww', by the way.)  I know how to use the
www module's .PIMG to put an image somewhere, but:

- The text won't flow around it (.MPIMG is unavailable to me, since I'm
going to postscript).
- I don't know where to put the image within the text, since basically I
want a full-page-sized image to start on wherever a natural page break
happens to land, not some specific point within the text.

For example, some way to say "display this image as soon as the next natural
page break occurs, then continue the text after the image" would be exactly
what I need.  But if that's not possible, maybe there is some other way to
accomplish this, I don't know.

Basically this is for a novel with illustrations.  In a pinch, I can insert
the illustrations on chapter breaks, where I'm specifically inserting a hard
page break anyway, but I'd rather have the freedom to put them within
chapters if I can.  Any thoughts?

Thanks again for the underlining help!

-- Sam.

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> [Talking about ul.tmac]
>
> > The first problem I'm having is that I can't seem to avoid having
> > spaces around my underlined material.  For example:
> >
> > This word is
> > .Underline underlined
> > !
> >
> > This will cause a space to appear between the word "underlined" and
> > the "!"  Do you know of a way that I could avoid this?
>
> You can't.  I've thus defined a new macro `Underline1' which handles
> trailing punctuation.
>
> > The second problem is that if the word-wrapping of a paragraph puts
> > the underlined word as the first word on a new output line, the
> > whole previous line gets underlined as well as the specified word.
>
> Ah, this has escaped my tests.  Thanks for the report.  Attached is a
> new version.  Not yet perfect, but...
>

>    Werner

--- End Message ---