[Groff] Re: clean-up issues with pdfmark

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Re: clean-up issues with pdfmark
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 11:44:04 +0100 (CET)

Keith,

thanks for fixing the pdfmark issues.

> BTW, I'm *still* seeing this error, two or more years after it was
> first reported:
>
> g++ -g -O2  -o troff dictionary.o div.o env.o input.o majorminor.o
>   mtsm.o node.o number.o reg.o
>   /home/keith/sandbox/build/groff/native/src/libs/libgroff/libgroff.a
>   /home/keith/sandbox/build/groff/native/src/libs/gnulib/lib/libgnu.a -lm
> div.o: In function `~extra_size_node':
> /home/keith/sandbox/groff/src/roff/troff/node.h:277: undefined reference
>   to `node::~node()'
> input.o:/home/keith/sandbox/groff/src/roff/troff/input.cpp:5318: more
>   undefined references to `node::~node()' follow
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [troff] Error 1
>
> IMHO, it is wrong to declare node::~node() as inline, when its body
> isn't visible at every point of reference.  We need to fix this,
> either by moving the implementation back into node.h, (where it used
> to be in the past), or we should drop the inline qualifier.

I'll do that soon.  However, I'm compiling with g++ 4.5.1; my usual
compilation options are

  g++ ...
      -g -O0
      -ansi
      -pedantic
      -fno-strict-aliasing
      -Wall
      -W
      -Wundef
      -Wshadow
      -Wpointer-arith
      -Wwrite-strings
      -Wredundant-decls
      -Wno-long-long

and I don't get *any* warning related to this!  Similarly, if I just
do `./configure; make', it compiles just fine, again without a
warning...

Strange, isn't it?  Is this problem specific to a certain g++ version?
I would like someone to try a different compiler (e.g. clang)...

    Werner