[Groff] Misformatting of CR font in PIC macros

From: Roger Leigh
Subject: [Groff] Misformatting of CR font in PIC macros
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2011 09:36:56 +0000

Hi,

I'm coming back to using groff after a long time, so please forgive
my ignorance if this is due to my inexperience!

I've attached below a simple ms document with an embedded pic figure.
I've also attached a ps file of the output I get using groffer.

The left-hand boxes in the figure contain "Filename" in Roman and
below it "hash.c" in Courier.  While in the pic macros both have the
same x offset, "hash.c" is offset further to the right than "Filename",
when both were expected to be exactly left-aligned.  Note that changing
\fC to \fR results in perfect alignment.

Is this a bug in groff or in the font metrics?  Or am I doing something
wrong?

Many thanks,
Roger

--