Re: [Groff] URW fonts

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] URW fonts
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 13:37:52 +0100 (CET)

> One problem I see here is that this means that gropdf will be
> embedding every font that it uses (since it will be always using URW
> metrics for every font so can never use the internal Adobe version).

Yes.

> Of course, if I did add font subsetting this objection would be a
> lot less.

Exactly.

> The problem is that there are very few examples that I have found on
> the net showing how to do type 1 font subsetting correctly.

Have a look at dvips, which does a decent job.

  http://www.tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Build/source/texk/dvipsk/

A probably better source is dvipdfmx, which creates really compact PDF
since it converts Type1 fonts to subsetted CFF on the fly:

  http://project.ktug.or.kr/dvipdfmx/

> So, back to Werner's .foundry, I like the idea but would like a way
> for gropdf to take advantage of the inbuilt Adobe versions of fonts
> when they are available.

Assuming my request is implemented, simply say

  .foundry

and you are done :-)

    Werner