Re: [Groff] holistic widow elimination

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] holistic widow elimination
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2012 15:08:05 +0000

Hi,

Sverre Slotte wrote:
> The web-page http://troff.org/macros.html has (under the To Do
> section) this interesting entry:
>
> "The -mpm Macro Package" B. W. Kernighan and C. J. Van Wyk.  Describes
> the -mpm macros, a version of -ms that does automatic page balancing.

It was used and acknowledged in the production of the excellent _The
Practice of Programming_ by Kernighan and Pike.

    http://troff.org/pubs.html#tpop
    "This book was typeset (grap|pic|tbl|eqn|troff -mpm) in Times and
    Lucida San Typewriter by the authors."

> A man-page of -mpm is available on
> http://man.cat-v.org/plan_9_2nd_ed/6/mpm.

I'm not sure the source is in modern Plan 9's, but Commander Pike did
post it to comp.os.plan9 in the past.

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.plan9/msg/cef975886f4502be
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.os.plan9/msg/3459b23689796052

Cheers, Ralph.