Re: [Groff] mdoc considered harmful

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Groff] mdoc considered harmful
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2014 16:03:49 -0500

Kristaps Dzonsons <address@hidden>:
> >The effort required to get this far with mdoc was extreme even for
> >me. Thus I consider that effort very unlikely to be successfully
> >replicated - I doubt anyone else will have the stamina required.
>
> Er... http://mdocml.bsd.lv?

An implementation by the *designer of mandoc* - which, moreover, does
not do semantic parsing - is not much evidence that anyone else can
ever do it.  You had the option of changing the source language to
make your job easier.  I didn't.

I understand why things like the .O/.X macros and list syntax are
so complicated and horrible, given groff interpretation as a constraint.
Maybe you couldn't have done better; in fact I'm inclined to believe that.
But the result is *still horrible*.