Re: [Groff] mission statement 3

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [Groff] mission statement 3
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 22:02:15 -0400

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014, Boss Hog wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 03:34:27AM -0500, Dave Kemper wrote:
> >
> > My feeling is that the quality of the line-breaking algorithm is something
> > that will be noticed by typography nerds, but the difficulty of installing
> > new typefaces...

Have you checked out the 'install-font.sh' script at

  http://www.schaffter.ca/mom/mom-05.html#install-font

Takes about two seconds to install a font.

> > ...is something that will be noticed by any groff user who
> > wants anything other than Times or Helvetica.  So there is some argument
> > that wider font support ought to be higher priority.
> >

> Perhaps include more fonts in a seperate groff-fonts-extras package?

Licensing hell, unless the fonts are released freely.  In my
experience, very few freely-available fonts are of sufficient
caliber to go in a groff-fonts-extra package except the obvious
ones like CM and Liberation.

> Personally I enjoy adjusting the kerning pairs via the groff font, leaving
> the oringinal font intact for other applications.

Interesting comment.  I have a large library of fonts that all
started out as .ttf and .otf. and got converted to Type1 for use
with groff.  I adjust kern pairs in the font files all the time.
Very handy.  But native support for other types doesn't preclude
converting to Type1 to take advantage of this.

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca