Re: [Groff] `groff_char.7' works only for `man', but not for `groff'

From: Dale Snell
Subject: Re: [Groff] `groff_char.7' works only for `man', but not for `groff'
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 11:36:43 -0700

On Mon, 26 May 2014 16:43:30 +0200
"Bernd Warken" <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Von: "Werner LEMBERG" <address@hidden>
> >
> > Please be more specific.  Using current git on my GNU/Linux box, the
> > call
> >
> >   groff -Tutf8 -t -man groff_char.n | less
> >
> > displays just fine.
>
> You are right.  I just forgot to include `-t'.  So something must be
> done in `grog'.
>
> Thanks
>
> Bernd Warken

Bernd,

You might look at the source for the groff_char.7 man page.
According to groff_man(7)

   If a preprocessor like tbl or eqn is needed, it has become
   common to make the first line of the man page look like this:

              '\" word

However, the source file for groff_char.7 (.../man/groff_char.man)
has:
              .\" t

as its first line.  Note that it's got a leading period instead of
an apostrophe.  It's the only file in the source "man" directory
that does.  The other files that use this construct have an
apostrophe.

I found this a couple of weeks ago while trying to find out why
groff_char(7) didn't print properly.  I think it's the source
(pun not intended, but I'll keep it) of the trouble.

Anyway, I hope this helps,

--Dale

--
"If one would give me six lines written by the hand of the most
honest man, I would find something in them to have him hanged."