Re: [Groff] underlining

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] underlining
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2014 14:15:41 +0100

Hi Holger,

> Doug McIlroy:
> > (1) Does white space get decorated?
>
> Yes. So it can be distinguished from multiple underlinings.

Don't quite understand what you mean here?  I guess Doug was thinking of
the difference between .ul and .cu in nroff.

> > (2) How about punctuation?
>
> When part of the string or text. So one can text it on the spot.

What about descenders?  It would be nice if the underline didn't have to
cross over them, but with more finesse than simply not underlining q and
p since the start of the q can be underlined and the end of the p.
Also, I've seen elsewhere g with a broken underline that reappears
inside its lower loop;  looks very odd.  Don't suppose groff has the
information to do this but it's possible some backends do, e.g. grops,
if sufficient intent is passed through to it?

Cheers, Ralph.