Re: [Groff] \o and \z do not work for -Tutf8

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] \o and \z do not work for -Tutf8
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 2014 06:14:05 +0200 (CEST)

>> For `gpinyin', the European-like Chinese, I need to create
>> character overstrikes for the 1st (a macron) and the 3rd tone (a
>> caron).  To append an accent over the ü and Ü characters (u/U
>> umlaut) for all 4 tones seems to be even more complex.
>
> Pin Yin doesn't use a ü glyph.

This is not correct.  For example, the scholar Zhāng Zhào (張照),
1691-1745, was a main author of a famous music theory book called Lǜlǚ
Zhèngyì (律呂正義), one of the first treatises that describe a method
to construct well-tempered tunings.

> It was at least not teached to me at Humbold University in
> 2007. Instead u is pronounced like the german ü at some well
> differentiated sylables like yǔ in hànyǔ.

`ü' is used after `l', since both `lu' and `lü' are possible.

    Werner