[Groff] OT: Fork of the Heirloom Documentation Tools for fixing bugs

From: Carsten Kunze
Subject: [Groff] OT: Fork of the Heirloom Documentation Tools for fixing bugs
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 23:29:01 +0200 (CEST)

Hello,

Since I know this list has some members who also use the Heirloom Documentation
Tools ...

There are some bugs in this troff implementaion which made them nearly unusable
at least for me. Since there seems to be no chance that Gunnar Ritter (the
former maintainer) will work again on this tools I have forked the repository

from http://heirloom.cvs.sourceforge.net/heirloom/heirloom-doctools/

to https://github.com/carsten-kunze/heirloom-doctools

with the purpose to fix bugs.  There are already some bugs fixed (see CHANGES):

* Crashes on OpenBSD reported in 2009
(http://openbsd.7691.n7.nabble.com/Heirloom-troff-on-OpenBSD-4-4-libc-i386-td82865.html)
but never got fixed (AFAIK)

* eqn(1) crashes on 64 bit

* Bugs regarding:
- ! operator of .if
- \fP after \fS
- 'bp followed by ..
(The last one is also in DWB and Plan9.)

Something not so OT: I did many test with groff, DWB, Heirloom and Plan9 (only
the ditroff functionality).  For any of these groff had equal or better results
and is the only implementation without bugs (regarding these tests).

--Carsten