Re: [Groff] OT: Fork of the Heirloom Documentation Tools for fixing bugs

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] OT: Fork of the Heirloom Documentation Tools for fixing bugs
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2014 09:24:50 +0100

Hi Pierre-Jean,

> This was, in fact, our first opinion. But we finally thought it would
> be annoying for the groff community to receive mails about technical
> issues which does not concern groff.

That might happen if the volume gets high, but we're a polite bunch and
can point that out if it happens.  :-)  If there's some implementation
minutiae that needs a lot of to and fro between just two people then
that might go off-list just as it would with any list?

> But the non-groff users and workers are uncollected so that they're
> hard to see. I'd be happy to see them more.

True, but I think all the *troff maintainers are on here so common,
compatible, ways forward can be agreed when it's useful.

> That's why I think it's not a so easy decision.

I'd still say give it a try.  Perhaps where it is, say, Plan 9-troff
specific, mention that in the subject.  We've lost the benefits of
Usenet readers like trn, but some of us might have mailer's with `kill'
files.  :-)

Cheers, Ralph.