Re: [Groff] groff performance in respect to hardware platform

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff performance in respect to hardware platform
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2016 21:57:05 -0600

On 03/23/2016 09:48 PM, Damian McGuckin wrote:
On Wed, 23 Mar 2016, Steve Izma wrote:

You DO know what you are talking about.

When I typeset large books, there are some stages, like adjusting
track kerning on a page, where I want to see immediate results on my
viewer.

Viewing is something entirely different.

Your 'groff' produces Postscript and you can either view the Postscript
in whatever suits, or convert it to PDF and just use a PDF viewer.

My current hardware uses a five-year-old four-core CPU. A section of
text maybe 50 pages long will update in my viewer in less than two
seconds. But trying to do this for a 250-page book is tedious.

It is the rendering of the output that takes the time, not the 'groff'
processing. Actually you might also have to think about your graphics
display speed. You probably need to be asking questions of the
maintainers of the viewer that you are using, not 'groff'.

That's why I'm interested in processing speed.

I use vim for all of my editing, and have a function key set up so all I
have to do is press it and it executes groff with the options I need to
get the PostScript output in a default file.

I then monitor the file with an open gv(1) window that updates every
time I press the function key and the file is rewritten.  I then use
ps2pdf to get a PDF file when I'm done.  It's fast, easy, and has
never given me any problem about speed.

YMMV.

Clarke