Re: [groff] Merge conflict for "gnulib"

From: Bjarni Ingi Gislason
Subject: Re: [groff] Merge conflict for "gnulib"
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2018 19:36:12 +0000

On Sat, Feb 03, 2018 at 04:20:09PM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

> > From git://git.savannah.gnu.org/groff
> >  * branch              master     -> FETCH_HEAD
> > warning: Failed to merge submodule gnulib (commits don't follow merge-base)
> > Auto-merging gnulib
> > CONFLICT (submodule): Merge conflict in gnulib
> > Auto-merging contrib/mom/om.tmac-u
> > Removing VERSION
> > Removing REVISION
> > Auto-merging ChangeLog
> > Auto-merging .gitignore
> > Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.
>
> Hmm, for me, `git pull' worked just fine.
>
> > How is the conflict to be resolved, "git diff --check" gives no
> > output?
>
> Try
>
>   rm -rf gnulib
>   git reset --hard
>   git pull
> [...]

  After "rm -rf gnulib", I saw that this directory was absent, so I
created it and issued "git pull".
The same situation arose.

  After trying some other commands, including compiling "groff" and
"git merge  --abort", I got with "git ls-files -s" the connection
between the long strings in the output of "git ls-files -u" and a real
file.

   So "git add gnulib" solved the conflict.

--
Bjarni I. Gislason