Re: [groff] More on stripping

From: Peter Schaffter
Subject: Re: [groff] More on stripping
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 12:02:08 -0500

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018, Bjarni Ingi Gislason wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2018 at 01:14:14PM -0500, Peter Schaffter wrote:
> > Another reason to stop stripping.  If we're going to recommend that
> > users put \" after a trailing space in strings in order to protect
> > against superfluous spaces, it's counter-productive to remove them
> > from om.tmac, especially since it's introducing errors.
> >
> >[...]
>
>   A suggested patch to keep the protection is in the patch #53314 on the
> bug-groff list.

The patch doesn't take into account definitions of the form

  .[da]s foo \
    "bar \"

I'm still strongly in favour of not stripping om.tmac, so providing
a fix would be counterproductive. :)

Unless there is a compelling reason to strip om.tmac, I'd like to
remove it from mom.am.  Comments?

--
Peter Schaffter
http://www.schaffter.ca