Re: [groff] [patch] modernize -T ascii rendering of opening single quote

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [groff] [patch] modernize -T ascii rendering of opening single quote
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2019 15:14:38 +0000

Hi Werner,

> Many years ago, in the age of bitmap fonts, they *were* symmetric.
> However, the symbols are *intentionally* asymmetric today to avoid
> confusion with real quote characters.
>
> That I still use `foo' indicates that I became old :-)

I still use it too, and a few months back I returned to bitmap fonts
because I was fed up with trying to find an anti-aliased font that
rendered well on a good quality Full HD monitor that's not sub-retina.
Anti-aliasing is fine for a web page or similar when many different
sizes are to be rendered for something that's going to be eyeballed for
a minute or two, but I live in terminal windows, as do many of you, and
all the text in a window is a single size, pre-chosen by me.

The bitmaps are far better.  Sharp edges.  Crisp.  Sure, I can see the
steps on `/' if I peer at it, but that's normal to me.  Changing the
text size, e.g. Ctrl-+, still sticks with another hand-optimised bitmap
font for that new size.  And I once again have symmetric «`'».  :-)

--
Cheers, Ralph.